'That's How Democracies Work': Tucker Says There's No Excuse for Withholding FISA Memo From the Public
UPDATE: A controversial memo alleging U.S. government surveillance abuses was declassified by the White House on Friday.
Fox News chief intelligence correspondent Catherine Herridge summarized some of the first excerpts.
Watch her analysis, here.
President Donald Trump is expected to declassify a controversial memo on purported U.S. government surveillance abuses as early as Friday morning, sources have told Fox News.
House Republicans have claimed the memo contains "disturbing" information on how FISA surveillance was used to target the Trump campaign.
Democrats have expressed concerns about the memo's release, pointing to “material changes” made to the document after the House Intelligence Committee voted Monday to release it.
On his program Thursday night, Tucker Carlson said there is no excuse for the memo not to be released.
"Like pretty much everyone else, we have not seen the document. But the charges are strong enough to shake public faith in some of our most important public institutions," Carlson said. "And the only way to fix that is to release the memo, so the rest of us can see the evidence and decide for ourselves what it amounts to. That's how democracies work."
He said that the prospect of transparency, however, has triggered panic in the Democratic Party and the mainstream media.
He said there are only two reasons to oppose the memo's release: if its contents are provably false or if it would imperil national security.
"Those are real questions, and so far the answer to both appears to be 'no,'" Carlson said. "In other words, there is no excuse for withholding this document from the public. Claims to the contrary are partisan barking, and you ought to ignore them."
Watch more above.