Election HQ Trump in Gettysburg: 'Look to Lincoln's Example' to Heal Divisions
Donald Trump gave a major policy speech Saturday in Gettysburg, Pa. and verbally nodded to fellow Republican Abraham Lincoln, who gave his famed Gettysburg Address in the Pennsylvania village, aimed to help heal a nation at war.
"Lincoln served at a time of division like we have never seen before," Trump said, adding that Americans should "look at his example to heal divisions we are living through right now."
"The country has been so good to me...I felt I had to act," he said of his candidacy.
He spoke again of a "rigged system", however, qualified that he also views the American people are subjected to the "rigging".
"The fact that the Washington...establishment has tried so hard to stop our campaign is only more proof that our campaign [represents] a change that comes once in a lifetime," he said.
Trump then outlined a series of policy proposals he said would give that proverbial power back to the citizenry.
He offered a series of actions he will take on his first day in office, if elected, to "protect American workers", which included renegotiating the NAFTA agreement, and withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Trump also doubled-down on his promise to build a border wall, cancel "every unconstitutional executive action", repeal Obamacare, and also said he would withdraw from future climate-change-related payments to the United Nations in order to reinvest in domestic energy..
Trump said he would not approve a business deal he said involved the ATT telecommunications company purchasing Time-Warner, owner of CNN, and said Comcast's purchase of NBC "concentrates far too much power in one entity."
Watch a clip from his speech above and let us know what you think in the comments.
Following the speech, the Trump campaign distributed a press release, denoting each specific new proposal:
Therefore, on the first day of my term of office, my administration will immediately pursue the following six measures to clean up the corruption and special interest collusion in Washington, DC:
- FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;
- SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);
- THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;
- FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;
- FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;
- SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections
On the same day, I will begin taking the following 7 actions to protect American workers:
- FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205
- SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership
- THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator
- FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately
- FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars’ worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.
- SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward
- SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America’s water and environmental infrastructure
Additionally, on the first day, I will take the following five actions to restore security and the constitutional rule of law:
- FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama
- SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States
- THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities
- FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won’t take them back
- FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.