JUST IN: Orlando Terrorist Made 2 Trips to Saudi Arabia
The terrorist who murdered 49 people Sunday at a gay nightclub in Orlando made two trips to Saudi Arabia.
A U.S. intelligence official confirmed to Fox News this morning that Omar Mateen, 29, made the trips in 2011 and 2012.
Chief intelligence correspondent Catherine Herridge said this is a "significant" piece of the puzzle.
Herridge said authorities are trying to learn whether there were direct ties from Mateen to a foreign terror organization.
Mateen is said to have traveled to Saudi Arabia for the umrah, a non-mandatory visit to Mecca.
She added that agents are following dozens of leads and are not ruling out the possibility of additional suspects.
Mateen pledged allegiance to ISIS in a 911 call before the attack and ISIS has claimed responsibility for the terror attack.
FoxNews.com reported this morning that Mateen was a follower of a controversial gang leader-turned-bank robber who was released from prison last year despite warnings from prosecutors.
Watch the report above and stay with Fox News for more on this developing story.