Hillary Clinton Turns Down Fox News Debate Invitation
Hillary Clinton's campaign declined to participate in a Fox News-moderated debate with Sen. Bernie Sanders before the California primary on June 7.
Sanders' campaign agreed to the tentative debate last week.
"We believe that Hillary Clinton's time is best spent campaigning and meeting directly with voters across California and preparing for a general election campaign that will ensure the White House remains in Democratic hands," Clinton spokeswoman Jennifer Palmieri said in a statement.
The panel on Special Report said that Clinton probably made the correct move strategically, but also did no favors to her image.
Stephen Hayes said: "You think about what she said, in response to (MSNBC journalist) Chuck Todd's question there, 'I haven't thought about it'? I mean, really? We've been discussing this nationally in the news media for the past week, for the past couple weeks, some people going on further than that. Of course she's thought about it! I mean, why would you go on national television and say something that is so obviously untrue?"
Laura Ingraham agreed that rejecting the debate was the right decision for her, but said it also ends up being "great for Bernie's narrative." She said it looks like Clinton's campaign doesn't "want to deal with the unwashed masses who are showing up in the tens of thousands at these Bernie Sanders rallies."
"I think it cements his pitch to the voters, I think it probably helps him a little bit going into that platform, crafting at the Democrat convention," Ingraham said. "And I also think for Hillary, lately at least, the more we see of Hillary, the more people see of Hillary, the less they seem to like her, at least as a presidential candidate."
Watch the discussion above.