Better Business Bureau: Trump U. Has No Rating, Had D-Minus in 2010
The Better Business Bureau issued a statement this morning concerning "inaccurate reports" about its rating of Trump University.
The subject came up during last week's Fox News debate, with Donald Trump maintaining that the Trump Entrepreneur Initiative, better known as Trump U., had an A rating from the organization.
Megyn Kelly pointed out that the rating was a D in 2010, and Trump later tweeted what he called a "Better Business Bureau report" on his company.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 4, 2016
The BBB released the following statement this morning:
1. BBB did not send a document of any kind to the Republican debate site last Thursday evening. The document presented to debate moderators did not come from BBB that night.
2. Trump University does not currently have an A rating with BBB. The BBB Business Review for this company has continually been “No Rating” since September 2015. Prior to that, it fluctuated between D- and A+.
3. The document posted on social media on Thursday night was not a current BBB Business Review of Trump University. It appeared to be part of a Business Review from 2014.
4. BBB ratings are based on information we obtain about a business, including complaints received from the public. The reporting period is three years. Detailed information about BBB ratings is available on all 5.3 million Business Reviews on our website, bbb.org.
5. At no point did BBB change the rating of Trump University based upon a demand from anyone. BBB followed its standard evaluation process applicable to all businesses.
6. During the period when Trump University appeared to be active in the marketplace, BBB received multiple customer complaints about this business. These complaints affected the Trump University BBB rating, which was as low as D- in 2010. As the company appeared to be winding down, after 2013, no new complaints were reported. Complaints over three years old automatically rolled off of the Business Review, according to BBB policy. As a result, over time, Trump University’s BBB rating went to an A in July 2014 and then to an A+ in January 2015.
7. Trump University has never been a BBB Accredited Business. The document handed to the debate moderators on Thursday night could not have been an actual “Better Business Bureau accreditation notice” for this business.
Watch the BBB's remarks above, along with analysis from Fox Business Network.