ISIS Leader, Black Lives Matter, Trump on TIME Person of the Year List
Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi and Black Lives Matter activists are among TIME magazine’s picks for this year’s annual Person of the Year Award.
The magazine yesterday morning released its shortlist of candidates, which runs the gamut from the aforementioned ISIS leader to Donald Trump to the CEO of Uber.
Here’s its full list of finalists, in alphabetical order:
1. Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi, ISIS leader
2. Black Lives Matter activists
3. Caitlyn Jenner, formerly known as Bruce Jenner
4. Travis Kalanick, CEO of Uber
5. Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany
6. Vladimir Putin, President of Russia
7. Hassan Rouhani, President of Iran
8. Donald Trump, Republican presidential candidate
Usama bin Laden was nominated in 2001, prompting the publication's editors to explain that the choice is based on which person most influenced world events in that year.
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders topped recent readers’ poll on who should be crowned the world’s most influential person.
TIME will reveal its Person of the Year on Wednesday.
The 2014 Person of the Year was The Ebola Fighters.
UPDATE: Angela Merkel is the 2015 Person of the Year, the first woman to be named in 29 years.
— TIME.com (@TIME) December 9, 2015