WATCH: Vet Grabs His Gun, Chases Burglars Away from Neighbor's Home

Some Are Furious Over This Video of a Baby Struggling to Swim

1st-Grader With No Hands Wins National Handwriting Contest

UPDATE: An arrest has been made in the case, while authorities continue to search for a second suspect. 

Reco Latur Dawkins Jr., 23, turned himself in earlier this week and will face charges of attempted murder and felony breaking and entering.

Meantime, a friend of the young mother talked to Jenna Lee on "Happening Now," saying that Semantha Bunce remains hospitalized in stable condition and is "doing better." 

Staff Sgt. Hollie Lyn Richie, a friend of the wounded 21-year-old National Guard combat medic, said the home invasion played out exactly as the reports indicated. 

She said Bunce was breastfeeding her son upstairs when the intruders rang the doorbell repeatedly, then broke down the door. 

Richie said Bunce knew exactly what to do, placing her baby down, grabbing the gun and returning fire.

The four-month-old is doing fine and actually slept through the whole incident, Richie said.

A GoFundMe page was set up to help the young family, and more than $57,000 has been raised in the past week.

Watch the interview above.

(Original story below)

A young mom was shot twice during a home invasion this week, but heroically defended her life and her infant with her husband's gun. 

Semantha Bunce, a 21-year-old combat medic with the National Guard, was feeding her 4-month-old son, Bentley, when the nightmare began.

Bunce’s husband was at work and their daughter at school when the attackers kicked down the door of the North Carolina home.

Dramatic Footage: Unarmed Homeowner Wrestles Gun Away from Intruder

Armed Robbers Chased Off By ROTC Sharpshooter

Bunce frantically rushed the baby up to the bedroom and grabbed her husband’s legally-owned pistol. 

“I think it was a shock to the intruders just as much as it was to her,” Paul Bunce, her husband, told WSOC-TV.

She exchanged fire with the intruders, chasing them off, but was seriously wounded.

Bunce remains in the hospital but is in stable condition, reports WCNC. Family members say she will need at least one more surgery.

Police have increased patrols of the neighborhood and are still searching for the suspects. They say they're confident an arrest will be made.

Descriptions of the suspects have not been released.

LOOK: Presley the Service Dog Gets Her Very Own Yearbook Photo

Cops: 11-Year-Old Boy Fatally Shot Teen Home Intruder

A Murder Suspect Was Released After Giving Officers a Fake Name