A man caused a fire at a suburban Detroit gas station by putting a lighter to what he says was a spider near his gas tank.

Surveillance video from the Mobil gas station in Center Line, Mich., shows flames quickly engulfing the man’s car and the gas pump, before he puts them out with a fire extinguisher.

The man told authorities he spotted a spider on his gas tank and pulled out his lighter to get rid of it, claiming to be deathly afraid of spiders.

"He didn’t have a cigarette. He didn’t have anything on him. All of a sudden I look out and I see flames," employee Susan Adams told Fox 2.

Adams hit the gas automatic stop button and called the Center Line Fire Department. The flames were out when firefighters arrived.

The man, who was not identified, escaped injury. His vehicle suffered little damage, but the pump was destroyed.

Watch the surveillance footage above.


You might also be interested in...

College Syllabus: Please Refrain from Saying 'God Bless You'

WATCH: Calif. HS Student Jumps In to Stop Attack on Blind Classmate

Mother Says She Found Special Needs Son Wearing Trash Bag in Classroom

School District Bans Tag on Playground to Ensure 'Physical & Emotional Safety'