Cops: Man Set Rental Car Ablaze While Trying to Kill Bed Bugs
A Long Island man accidentally set his rental car ablaze in an effort to kill bed bugs, police say.
Authorities say 44-year-old Scott Kemery poured rubbing alcohol on the bed bugs because he thought it would do the trick. Then, he lit a cigarette, setting himself and three cars on fire.
"He said he had bedbugs in the car, and someone told him if he saturated them with alcohol, it would kill them," Det. Sgt. Edward Fitzgerald told Newsday. "So he went and bought some alcohol, he poured it all in there and he sat in his car and lit a cigarette.”
Kemery was treated at a local hospital for second-degree burns, but will be OK.
Authorities say Kemery won’t face criminal charges.
Watch footage of the fire above.
TRENDING on Fox News Insider: