A Colorado memorial for 70 fallen officers was defaced last weekend in response to the shooting of four unarmed citizens by the Denver Police Department.

Two people have since been arrested and charged with criminal mischief in connection with the memorial incident.

Protesters covered the memorial in red paint because they say too much blood has been shed at the hands of local police.

The most recent incident was when officers shot and killed a teenage girl in Denver. Police say they were in the right because they were in danger.

There have been several large settlements for police brutality in Denver in the last year.

Watch KDVR reporter Ashley Michels’ report above. Below, read more on this story from Fox affiliate KDVR:

A familiar rallying cry of “Hands up. Don’t shoot.” echoed through the streets of Denver on Saturday as about 150 protesters carried signs and blocked traffic on Colfax Avenue.

Dozens of officers, some in full riot gear, directed traffic and stood watch until an incident near the end of the demonstration.

“We’re defending their right to protest, even us (officers),” said Denver Police Lt. Matt Murray. “There’s a limit though. There’s a limit to what you can do.”

Murray says two protesters crossed the line when they defaced Denver’s memorial to fallen officers and several other areas around police headquarters using stickers, red paint and messages like f*** the police.

“What happened at the police administrative building was a lot of bottled up rage that finally exploded,” said Dave Strano a protest organizer with Denver Community Defense Committee.

Strano says the rage and the protest are the result of four officer involved shootings in the past seven months, which all involved unarmed people in cars.

Several of the families connected to those shooting turned out for the protest, including the family of Jessie Hernandez, a teenager who was shot and killed by officers in January.

“We came here to just represent all those people who have been suffering through deaths from the police,” said Laura Hernandez, Jessie Hernandez’s 12 year old sister.

According to police, officers opened fire because Jessie Hernandez and the others drove at them or otherwise used their vehicles as weapons. An independent monitor is currently looking into the DPD’s policies and practices related to shooting at moving vehicles.