Doctors: Student Likely Died from Choking on Chewing Gum
Doctors say a California University of Pennsylvania student and basketball player appears to have choked to death on chewing gum.
Shanice Clark, 21, fell out of bed at about 3 a.m. Sunday. Her roommate got up to help her, but found that she was unresponsive. Clark was taken to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Clark, a Toronto native, came to Pennsylvania to play basketball. She hoped to be a broadcaster after graduating.
“Shanice was a bright student and talented player. Her smile and personality will be missed,” Dr. Karen Hjerpe, California University of Pennsylvania athletic director, said in a statement.
It is unclear when Clark's autopsy results will be released.