A Utah man was hospitalized shortly after winning an eggnog-chugging contest at an office holiday party.

GA Nat'l Guard Unit Returns From Afghanistan, Receives Amazing Welcome

Ryan Roche of Lehi, Utah, beat two co-workers by chugging a quart of eggnog in 12 seconds, as revelers cheered him on with chants of "Chug! Chug! Chug!" (video below)

When he began feeling ill later that evening, he went to the hospital, where doctors informed him that the holiday drink had triggered pneumonia.

After a 3-day stay at the hospital, Roche is fully recovered and ready to use the $50 gift card he won for his 12-second chug.

7-Year-Old Girl Celebrates Birthday by Feeding the Homeless

Cardinal Dolan Shares His Powerful Christmas Message

Fox 31 reported:

An eggnog-chugging contest was getting started, and one of Roche’s colleagues called him out to compete. Roche said he’s a competitive guy and couldn’t walk away.

“I’ve already decided, if I’m going to do it, I’m going to win,” he said.

The record at that point was 22 seconds. There was a Ruth’s Chris Steak House gift card on the line, so Roche faced off against two other co-workers.

“I just opened up my throat, didn’t even swallow,” he said. “I pretty much poured it down.”

As the video shows, he drank a quart of eggnog in just 12 seconds, without taking a breath.

“I got done, and I was gasping, I couldn’t breathe.”

Roche said he was coughing a lot as he headed home, but thought he would be OK. A couple of hours later, he wasn’t so sure.

“I was pretty much shaking uncontrollably,” he said. “I was shaking so badly, I was nauseous, and my breathing became a pant.”

He asked a friend in medical school to come over to his house and check on him. The friend took him to the hospital.

Roche had aspirated the eggnog to his lungs and was essentially “dry drowning,” the doctors told him.

“They pretty much had to wheelchair me in, double IV, oxygen, and hooked me up to what they call the nuclear weapon of antibiotics,” he said.

The liquid in his lungs was starting an infection. He spent 24 hours in intensive care with a fever, sweats and chills.

“It was rough,” he said. “Eggnog: not ideal for the lungs.”

On day three in the hospital, doctors took him off oxygen, and he went home. After about a week, he was back at full strength.

It was a holiday mishap he’ll never forget, and also probably never live down. Roche did win, but at quite a price.

“Not only do I get a Ruth’s Chris gift card, but I got a three night’s stay in the hospital.”

Watch more above and see video of the fateful eggnog-chugging contest below.

'God Is With Us': Pastor Jailed in Iran Writes Family Inspiring Christmas Letter

'Every Step That He Takes Is Awesome': Boy Defies Doctors, Learns to Walk