A 12-person grand jury has decided not to indict Darren Wilson in the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

Prosecutor Robert McCulloch said that "no probable cause exists" to indict Wilson, who fatally shot the 18-year-old in a confrontation in August.

The jury - comprised of six white men, three white women, two black women and one black man - met on 25 separate days over three months and heard more than 70 hours of testimony from about 60 witnesses.

Brown's family spoke out following the decision:

We are profoundly disappointed that the killer of our child will not face the consequence of his actions.

While we understand that many others share our pain, we ask that you channel your frustration in ways that will make a positive change.  We need to work together to fix the system that allowed this to happen. 

Join with us in our campaign to ensure that every police officer working the streets in this country wears a body camera. 

We respectfully ask that you please keep your protests peaceful.  Answering violence with violence is not the appropriate reaction.   

Let's not just make noise, let's make a difference.

Wilson's attorneys also released a statement:

Today, a St. Louis County grand jury released its decision that no charges would be filed in the case involving Officer Darren Wilson. From the onset, we have maintained and the grand jury agreed that Officer Wilson’s actions on August 9 were in accordance with the laws and regulations that govern the procedures of an officer.

In a case of this magnitude, a team of prosecutors rightfully presented evidence to this St. Louis County grand jury. This group of citizens, drawn at random from the community, listened to witnesses and heard all the evidence in the case. Based on the evidence and witness testimony, the grand jury collectively determined there was no basis for criminal charges against Officer Wilson.

Law enforcement personnel must frequently make split-second and difficult decisions. Officer Wilson followed his training and followed the law. We recognize that many people will want to second-guess the grand jury’s decision. We would encourage anyone who wants to express an opinion do so in a respectful and peaceful manner.

On a side note, Officer Wilson would like to thank those who have stood by his side throughout the process. This continued support is greatly appreciated by Officer Wilson and his family. Moving forward, any commentary on this matter will be done in the appropriate venue and not through the media.

See photos from the scene following the decision:

Shortly after the decision, authorities in Ferguson reported gunfire, looting and a shattered police car window.

10:57p ET: Fox News’ Mike Tobin reported live from Ferguson, Mo., where smoke is billowing through the streets as people protest the grand jury’s decision in the death of Michael Brown.

See more photos of the protest below:

11:32p ET: Fox News’ Steve Harrigan tonight reported that people are looting and vandalizing stores in Ferguson, Mo., following the grand jury’s decision not to indict Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown.

11:55p ET: Shots were fired tonight in the middle of a Fox News report live from Ferguson.

12:35p ET: Hear Darren Wilson's statement to his supporters below: