Canadian authorities have released harrowing new surveillance video (above), which shows Ottawa shooting suspect Michael Zehaf-Bibeau.

David Lee Miller reported this morning that the family of Zehaf-Bibeau has no explanation for the 32-year-old's actions. They called him "lost" and said he never "fit in."

From AP:

The mother of the man accused of killing a soldier at Ottawa’s war memorial then storming Parliament before being shot dead says she is crying for the victims of the shooting, not her son.

In a brief and tear-filled telephone interview with The Associated Press Thursday, Susan Bibeau said she did not know what to say to those hurt in the attack.

“Can you ever explain something like this?” she said. “We are sorry.”

Officials say they believed he acted alone.

According to the Globe and Mail, Bibeau was a petty criminal who seemed to have a religious awakening recently. A friend described Bibeau as seemingly mentally ill.

It's also believed that Bibeau's father fought in Libya against Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

More from the report:

Mr. Bathurst said he met Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau in a Burnaby, B.C., mosque about three years ago. He said his friend did not at first appear to have extremist views or inclinations toward violence – but at times exhibited a disturbing side.

“We were having a conversation in a kitchen, and I don’t know how he worded it: He said the devil is after him,” Mr. Bathurst said in an interview. He said his friend frequently talked about the presence of Shaytan in the world – an Arabic term for devils and demons. “I think he must have been mentally ill.”

Mr. Bathurst last saw Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau praying in a Vancouver-area mosque six weeks ago. He spoke of wanting to go to the Middle East soon.

“He wanted to go back to Libya and study,” Mr. Bathurst said. He urged his friend to make sure study was on his mind and “not something else.”

Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau insisted he was only going abroad with the intent of learning about Islam and to study Arabic.

Zehaf-Bibeau was shot dead inside the nearby Parliament building by the heroic Sergeant-at-Arms. He's said to have come extremely close to rooms where lawmakers were meeting before being stopped.

Brian Lilley, of Sun News Network, explained on "Happening Now" that one armed guard was wounded in the leg when he tried to stop Bibeau.

A second guard decided not to fire as Bibeau ran deeper into the building because the foyer was filled with schoolchildren on a tour.

Watch the interview with Lilley below.

Meantime, we're hearing for the first time a chilling 911 call from the moments following the murder of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo.

Hear that audio below.