UPDATE 9:30p ET: The alleged gunman behind a mass shooting near the University of California, Santa Barbara campus late Friday first stabbed three of his housemates to death before embarking on the shooting rampage that left an additional four dead including the suspect, police say.

22-year-old Elliot Rodger was identified by police as the suspect in a press conference Saturday evening. Rodger had earlier been identified by his family, who said they believed Rodger was the shooter, and that they had called police weeks before about disturbing YouTube videos he had posted online.

Read more on the story at FoxNews.com and stay tuned to Fox News Channel.


 

UPDATE 8p ET: A lawyer for a Hollywood director says he suspects his son carried out a mass shooting near the University of California, Santa Barbara campus late Friday that left seven people dead, including the gunman, and 11 injured in what authorities say was a “premeditated mass murder."

Authorities have not confirmed the identity of the gunman who was found dead of a gunshot wound to the head at the end of Friday’s rampage. But lawyer Alan Shifman, attorney for Peter Rodger, an assistant director on “The Hunger Games” film series, says that Rodger believes the shooter is his 22-year-old son Elliot Rodger, and that his family had called police weeks before about disturbing YouTube videos he had posted, his lawyer.

Police say a gunman driving a BMW near the university campus carried out the rampage. Authorities described the tragedy as "obviously the work of a mad man."

Eleven people were injured, including one who has undergone surgery, following the shooting spree in the beachside community of Isla Vista, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said.

The gunman got into two gun battles before crashing into a parked car. Deputies found the lone suspect dead, but it wasn't immediately clear whether he was killed by gunfire or if he committed suicide, Brown said.

Fox News confirmed that several of the dead were killed at a sorority house.

Shifman says the director's family called police several weeks ago after being alarmed by YouTube videos "regarding suicide and the killing of people."

The lawyer said police conducted an investigation and interviewed the young man. Shifman said police did not find a history of guns, but did say the man had trouble making friends.

“This was a premeditated mass murder, “ Brown said. He called the killer "severely mentally disturbed."

Read more on the story at FoxNews.com.


A crazed gunman shot and killed six people and wounded seven others following a deadly shooting Friday night near the University of Santa Barbara in California.

After exchanging gunfire with police, the shooter drove away and crashed into a parked car.  The suspect was found dead from an apparent gunshot wound, but police said they do not know if the gunshot was self-inflicted or if the suspect was shot by a deputy.  A semi-automatic handgun was recovered in the vehicle.  The suspect has yet to be identified.

Seven people were treated for gunshot wounds and at least one of the victims has undergone surgery. 

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said written and videotaped evidence suggests that the shooting was “a premeditated mass murder.” Investigators are looking into a YouTube video posted earlier in the week featuring a young man who promised to take revenge on sorority girls who had rejected him over the year.