Issa: WH Contacted YouTube About Offensive Video During Benghazi Attack
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) says he has an email that shows the White House was reaching out to YouTube about an offensive anti-Islam video while the Benghazi attack was going on. According to Issa, the email was sent on the night of Sept. 11, 2012 and stated “White House is reaching out to UTube to advise ramifications of the posting of the Pastor Jon Video.”
The email was sent from the White House to the Diplomatic Security Command Center a few hours after the assault on the US consulate began.
Here's more from FoxNews.com:
Issa said this email is “troubling” because it “contradicts” White House claims that the faulty storyline on the video was drawn from the intelligence community’s talking points.
The congressman also said “the email shows the White House had hurried to settle on a false narrative -- one at odds with the conclusions reached by those on the ground -- before Americans were even out of harm’s way or the intelligence community had made an impartial examination of available evidence.”
Issa, who wants the administration to declassify the email, discussed its contents as a House select committee prepares to launch its investigation into the 2012 Benghazi attacks and their aftermath. Ahead of that committee’s work, Issa has subpoenaed Secretary of State John Kerry to appear before his House Oversight and Government Reform Committee next week.
Issa has questions about this email, as well as a previously released email showing the White House held a “prep call” after the attack with then-U.N. ambassador Susan Rice in which it pushed the video storyline. The White House has claimed that call pertained to protests elsewhere in the region.
Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., Issa’s Democratic counterpart on the oversight committee and a newly chosen member of the select committee, blasted Issa for discussing the YouTube-related email.
“This latest document leak makes the strongest case yet for Democrats seeking procedures to protect against these kinds of abuses,” he said in a statement. “In what has become an irresponsible pattern, Chairman Issa unilaterally released a cherry-picked document excerpt – claiming it means one thing when in fact it means the opposite.”
A White House official also told ABC News that the email only “proves” what the administration has said – that they were concerned about the video given the protests in the region.
Bill Hemmer discussed the startling new information with former UN Ambassador John Bolton, who pointed out we do not know exactly who sent this email and who directed it to be sent. Bolton said the fact that this email is just coming to light "demonstrates that there is a lot more out there."
Bolton said the email only reinforces the need for the House Select Committee to investigate Benghazi further.
Hear Bolton's response to the views expressed by the White House and Rep. Cummings in the clip above.