New Photos, Details Emerge of Ft. Hood Gunman
New photos have emerged of Wednesday’s alleged Fort Hood gunman, Army Spc. Ivan Lopez.
The shooter opened fire at Fort Hood on Wednesday around 4:00 p.m. local time yesterday, wounding 16 and killing three before turning the gun on himself.
The 34-year-old lost his mother last November and his grandfather a few weeks before her passing. Rick Leventhal reported that friends say Lopez was deeply affected by their deaths.
Lopez, who is from Puerto Rico, was married with three or four children. He had been in the Army at least nine years and had no direct involvement in combat while in Iraq, according to the military.
He was being treated for depression, anxiety and sleep disorders.
Leventhal reported that Guns Galore, the Texas gun store Maj. Nidal Hasan bought the weapon he used in the 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage, was questioned by FBI yesterday.
UPDATE, 4:15p ET: Fort Hood commander, Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, confirmed in a press conference that Lopez purchased the .45 caliber gun at the same store.
Lt. Gen. Milley said four of the 16 injured have been released from the hospital. He also said at this time there are no ties to terrorism or that Lopez was targeting specific soldiers.
Earlier today, Secretary of the Army John McHugh gave a brief statement with details about the alleged gunman. Watch it here.