Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday that the caravan of largely Central American migrants is violating Mexico's sovereignty but will not be allowed to do so to the United States.

"President Trump will not stand for this to happen to us," Pompeo said, noting that the caravan illegally crossed into Mexico from Guatemala earlier this week, after starting in Honduras.

"For those who say this is a hard-hearted stance, let's not forget this is a historically generous nation," he said.

Pompeo said that about one million people are permitted to legally immigrate annually, and that those in the caravan wishing to come to America must do so that way.

"You will not be successful in getting into the United States illegally," he said, calling the relative anonymity of the people in the caravan an "unacceptable security risk."


MD Sen. Cardin Says US 'Should Try to Help' Migrant Caravan, GOP Opponent Blasts Comments

McSally Blasts Dem Opponent Sinema: 'Chuck Schumer's Top Recruit'


Pompeo said he has been speaking with his Mexican counterpart, Luis Videgaray Caso, and that the two nations will work to find a "permanent solution" to the issues the caravan poses.

"We are determined that illegal entry into the United States from this caravan will not be possible," he said.

In an earlier statement from the White House, Vice President Mike Pence said that the Venezuelan government had a hand in facilitating the caravan's travels.

Pence said that information came from a discussion he had with Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez.

Watch more above.


Harris Faulkner: Pelosi's 'Subpoena' Remarks Stem From 'Thirst to Stay Relevant'

Liberal Radio Host: Migrant Caravan Is Talking Point 'Sent From Heaven' for Trump, GOP