A man who was trapped inside his New Bern, North Carolina, home by Tropical Storm Florence spoke with Fox & Friends on Saturday.

George Zaytoun chose not to evacuate his house ahead of the storm, which had been deemed a Category 4 hurricane on Wednesday.

He said that on Saturday morning, the floodwaters around his home had dropped, leaving a multitude of trees and other debris in their wake.

"It looks like a battlefield out here," he said.


WATCH: Steve Harrigan Reports in Extreme Conditions in North Topsail Beach, NC


New Bern has been one of the hardest hit areas by Florence, experiencing a 10-and-a-half-foot storm surge.

Hundreds of residents were rescued on Friday, and the city was placed under a 24-hour curfew until further notice.

Zaytoun said he didn't leave his home because he knew he wouldn't have been able to get back to it once the flooding began.

"That's a decision I had to make," he said.

Zaytoun added that being able to help his neighbors was one of the main reasons he stayed.

He said he believed that crews wouldn't be able to get to him as of Saturday morning, as floodwaters were chest-high.

"The amount of water and the storm surge was very overwhelming," he said. "I've never seen the water as high as it came."

Watch more above.


'Dangerous Times': Mayor of New Bern, NC Says Residents Being Rescued From Attics, Roofs

Stunning Images: Leland Vittert Surveys Florence's Destruction on NC's Bogue Banks

Wilmington, NC Mayor: 'Never Seen a Storm Like' Hurricane Florence