FBI Was Notified Last Year of Threatening YouTube Comment by 'Nikolas Cruz'
The FBI said Thursday it investigated a threatening YouTube comment which is believed to have been made by the gunman who killed 17 people at a Florida high school.
"I'm going to be a professional school shooter," a commenter wrote last year on YouTube under the name "Nikolas Cruz."
FBI Special Agent Rob Lasky said at a news conference that the comment was flagged to the agency, but the person behind the comment could not be located.
BREAKING: FBI investigated 2017 YouTube comment by alleged shooter "I'm going to be a professional school shooter"; agency couldn't ID person despite same spelling of name would show multiple social media posts of shooter posing with weapons. pic.twitter.com/w7Vb7mw1nH
— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) February 15, 2018
Lasky said agents conducted "database reviews [and] checks but was unable to further identify the person that made the comment."
The YouTube comment was left on a video about the 1966 University of Texas clock tower sniper, who killed 18 people.
Nikolas Cruz, 19, was arrested Wednesday near Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, where he is alleged to have opened fire with an AR-15 rifle after pulling the fire alarm.
Cruz, an avowed gun enthusiast, had been expelled from the high school and students have said they were not surprised to learn he carried out the shooting.
Student says “everyone predicted” that Nicolas Cruz would shoot up a school. pic.twitter.com/mkwJyRT2zE
— Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) February 14, 2018
Watch the comments above.