Judge Nap on Porter Scandal: Was Background Check Info Kept From John Kelly?
Judge Andrew Napolitano questioned Wednesday whether former top staffer Rob Porter's background check ever reached White House Chief of Staff John Kelly.
On Tuesday, Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said the House Oversight Committee is investigating the White House's employment of Porter as staff secretary.
Porter was also up for a significant promotion within the White House before his resignation last week, which came after his two ex-wives accused him of domestic violence.
FBI Director Christopher Wray said before the Senate Tuesday that a completed background check report was sent to the White House last July. A second report was sent in November in response to follow-up queries, Porter testified.
The testimony raised immediate questions about the White House's insistence that Porter was terminated as soon as Kelly became aware of the allegations.
Asked about the Wray testimony, Press Secretary Sarah Sanders blamed hold-ups within the White House Personnel Security Office, which she said was still in the process of making recommendations.
Napolitano, speaking on "America's Newsroom," expressed disbelief at the series of events, asking whether "long knives are out for General Kelly" in the White House.
"I can't imagine for a moment that Kelly participated in a cover-up. I can only think that this information was kept from General Kelly. That means Christopher Wray was truthful and General Kelly was truthful, but there is some sort of a disconnect in the White House," he said.
"If these credible allegations came in in July, how is it that the chief of staff didn't know about it until February?"