Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) announced today he will retire and endorsed his son, John Conyers III, to take his place.
The news broke on "America's Newsroom" after 88-year-old Conyers was interviewed on a Detroit radio show, where he continued to deny sexual misconduct allegations.
"I am retiring today," said Conyers, who has been hospitalized since last week due to a stress-related condition.
"My legacy will continue through my children," he said.
Conyers' great nephew, Democratic State Sen. Ian Conyers, was also reportedly expected to run for the U.S. House seat, which Conyers has held since 1964.
Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) reacted to the news this morning, expressing concern about the seat being handed down to a member of Conyers' family.
"What is this? A political kingdom?" he asked, adding that elected offices are not "heirlooms" to be passed down within a family.
"I find that troubling in a country that is not supposed to operate like that."
Conyers has faced weeks of criticism and calls for his resignation after he was found to have paid a settlement to a former employee who accused him of sexual harassment. Yet another accuser came forward on Monday, alleging Conyers put his hand up her skirt in the front row of a church.
Conyers III defended his father last week, noting that the allegations have not been proven true.
"It's very unfortunate to see him fight so long for so many people and to automatically have the allegations assumed to be true. And of course, with sexual assault, women are to be believed. But in this instance he has no history of this," said Conyers III.
Watch the segment above.