Acting ICE Director: Sanctuary City Policies Are a Threat to Public Safety
In the wake of the Kate Steinle verdict, the acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) says sanctuary cities must be held accountable.
Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, an illegal immigrant who had been deported multiple times, shot and killed Steinle while she was walking on a San Francisco pier with her father in July 2015. On Thursday, he was found not guilty of murder.
The shooting sparked a national debate over sanctuary cities, which refuse cooperate with federal authorities in enforcing U.S. immigration law.
"I was sickened by what I heard last night and the verdict," Thomas Homan said on "Your World" on Friday. "These sanctuary cities got to be held accountable. This person needs to be held accountable."
Homan said that's why the Department of Justice unsealed an arrest warrant for Zarate following the not guilty verdict.
"We want him prosecuted further. He will be deported to Mexico when we're done prosecuting him. We want to hold him accountable for his crimes first," Homan said. "Let him spend some time in prison. Then when he's done there, we will deport him to Mexico. There's no doubt about that."
He said Steinle's tragic death happened because Zarate was released from a San Francisco jail about three months before the shooting, despite a federal request that he be held for deportation.
"They knowingly released a public safety threat that was here in the country illegally back into the community rather than turning him over to ICE so we could deport him," Homan said, calling sanctuary city policies "a threat to public safety."
Watch more above.