Michael Moore thinks it's time to repeal the 2nd Amendment and replace it with a 28th Amendment that puts the public’s safety ahead of an individual’s right to own and fire a gun.
Moore's proposed amendment says individuals can use guns for sport and gathering food, but there are heavy restrictions on how guns can be purchased, what types of guns are available to the public and where they can be stored.
"This is the sane approach that meets everyone’s needs - everyone, that is, except those of the serial killer, the mass murderer, the violent ex-husband, the disgruntled employee or the disturbed and bullied teenager," Moore wrote.
He acknowledged that we can never eliminate murder, but we can join the community of "enlightened nations" where gun violence is not a "daily tragedy."
"This can come to an end with the repeal of the 2nd Amendment and replacing it with the 28th Amendment," Moore said.
Moore went into the specifics of the amendment, which would allow states and the federal government to pass laws that would regulate gun ownership in the following ways:
• As over 90% of gun violence is committed by men, in order for a man to purchase a gun, he must first get a waiver from his current wife, plus his most recent ex-wife, or any woman with whom he is currently in a relationship (if he’s gay, he must get the waiver from his male spouse/partner). This law has greatly reduced most spousal/domestic gun murders in Canada.
• All automatic and semi-automatic guns are banned.
• No gun or clip can hold more than 6 bullets.
• To activate a gun for it to be used, the trigger must recognize the fingerprint of its registered owner. This will eliminate most crimes committed with a gun as 80% of these crimes are done with a stolen gun.
• One’s guns must be stored at a licensed gun club or government-regulated gun storage facility. Believing that having a gun in your home provides you with protection is an American myth. People who die from a home invasion make up a sad but minuscule .04% of all gun murders in the US. And over a third of them are killed by their own gun that the criminal has either stolen or wrestled from them.
• To own and operate a gun one must obtain a license (like one does to operate a car). To get a license you have to complete a gun training and safety course and pass a thorough background check.
• As nearly half of all gun deaths are suicides, mental health care must become a top national health priority and must be properly funded. And by making it more difficult to purchase a gun - and requiring its storage outside the home - easy access during a suicidal moment is denied.
• Current restrictions placed on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), due to successful lobbying by the NRA, have prohibited them from studying the gun violence epidemic in the US. These rules need to be removed and the funding restored. Science will then be free to find out why we are ALONE among nations in killing each other at such a massive rate (hint: It’s not just the guns - it’s us as Americans).
"We can start with the upcoming midterm election. Let every candidate know: If you take NRA money, we will remove you from office. Then do it," Moore concluded.
Let us know what you think about Moore's amendment in the comments.