Trump Calls USS Ross, USS Porter Commanding Officers After Syria Airstrikes
Over the weekend, President Donald Trump personally called the commanding officers of the two U.S. destroyers that fired 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at a Syrian air base last week.
Trump thanked Commander Russell Caldwell, of the USS Ross, and Commander Andria Slough, of the USS Porter, for their "professionalism and quick response" in launching cruise missile strikes against Shayrat airfield, the Navy said in a press release.
The strikes were in response to a deadly chemical weapons attack on civilians by the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
A White House photo showed Trump on the phone at his desk on Air Force One with National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster sitting across from him.
Photos released by the Navy show Caldwell and Slough receiving their calls from the president.
Caldwell took command of the USS Ross Nov. 12, 2015, and is scheduled to be relieved by the current executive officer, Commander Brian Gallo, in a ceremony onboard the ship April 11 in port Larnaca, Cyprus, according to the Navy's press release.
Slough took command of USS Porter Jan. 28, 2016. In February, Porter went to the Black Sea and participated in the Romanian led exercise Sea Shield. In March, Porter participated in the multilateral Allied Maritime Command anti-submarine, anti-surface warfare Exercise Dynamic Manta 2017. Also in March, Porter was awarded the 2016 Atlantic Fleet "Bloodhound" award, signifying the best ship in the fleet at anti-submarine warfare, the press release said.
Let us know what you think in the comments and check out official Navy video of the airstrikes below.