White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer dismissed as "100 percent false" a Washington Post report which stated that the White House sought to block former acting attorney general Sally Yates from testifying to Congress about alleged Trump-Russia ties.

Spicer tweeted a denial of the story earlier this morning. 

"I hope she testifies," said Spicer at his daily briefing.

He said that the letters published by the Washington Post actually back up his assertions and added the paper should be "ashamed" of its report.

Spicer told reporters that House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes and ranking Democrat Adam Schiff sent a letter on March 4 requesting that Yates testify at a March 28 hearing. 

The hearing was then called off by Nunes last week. Spicer said there was no pressure from the White House to cancel the hearing.

Spicer said the White House took "no action" after receiving a letter from Yates' attorney about her upcoming testimony and whether the White House would assert executive privilege to block certain information from being disclosed.

"We had no objection to her going forward," said Spicer.

Schiff released a statement, asking whether Nunes cancelled the hearing so that the White House would not have to assert executive privilege over her testimony. 

The California Democrat has also called on committee chairman Nunes to recuse himself from the investigation. 

Yates was fired by President Trump in January after instructing DOJ lawyers not to defend the White House's original travel ban executive order.

Watch Spicer's statement above.


'It's Not Right': Cavuto Takes on Media's 'Over-the-Top' Reaction to Trump's Every Move

Hannity Responds to 'Hypocrite' Ted Koppel, Who Called Him 'Bad For America'

Are You Calling Him a Liar?: Hemmer & Harf Debate Dems' Calls for Nunes to Step Aside