Baby Dies in PA Home Days After Parents' Suspected Heroin Overdoses
— Daniel Hamburg (@DHamburgReports) December 22, 2016
Pennsylvania authorities say an infant died of starvation and dehydration days after her parents died in a suspected drug overdose.
Police made the heartbreaking discovery last week in Johnstown, explaining that they believe 5-month-old Summer Chambers was left in her bassinet alone for three or four days.
— The Tribune-Democrat (@tribunedemocrat) December 23, 2016
The infant's parents, Jason Chambers, 27, and Chelsea Cardaro, 19, are believed to have overdosed on heroin within minutes of each other.
The mother and father were New York residents living in the house, about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh, since May.
Police believe the couple was deceased inside the home for a week before being discovered by a friend.
Chambers reportedly overdosed in November and had to be revived by paramedics using the drug Narcan.
Children and Youth Services workers reportedly checked in on the welfare of the child on Dec. 7.
"It illustrates the ongoing issues that we're having with overdoses," said Cambria County District Attorney Kelly Callihan.
In February, authorities said 20 people overdosed - two fatally - in just two days from a potent strain of heroin in the county. In November, Gov. Tom Wolf said heroin and opioid abuse in the state had reached "epidemic" proportions, signing a bill to combat the crisis.