Prosecutor: Nice Attacker Had 'Out of Control Sexual Life,' Read ISIS Propaganda
A French prosecutor said this morning that the terrorist who struck in Nice last week had an "out of control sexual life" and did not practice the Muslim religion.
— Sky News (@SkyNews) July 18, 2016
In a statement this morning, Paris prosecutor François Molins said that 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel ate pork, drank alcohol and used drugs, but recently became radicalized and showed interest in ISIS.
BREAKING: Paris prosecutor: Nice attacker searched online about IS propaganda, Orlando attack, violence.
— The Associated Press (@AP) July 18, 2016
Molins said that Bouhlel showed a "clear, recent" interest in radical Islam and that he had searched online for ISIS propaganda and about the Orlando terror attack on the Pulse nightclub.
He said the information came from Bouhlel's ex-wife, children and his neighbors.
Bouhlel killed 84 people when he plowed a box truck through large crowds during a nighttime Bastille Day celebration in southern France. He was shot dead by police who responded to the horrific scene.
Authorities recovered the attacker's cell phone at the scene.
According to reports, Bouhlel used both straight and gay dating sites to meet men and women. His "principle lover" was reported to be a 73-year-old male.
The New York Post reported:
Bouhlel, 31, was known to send selfie photos to acquaintances, hang out at gyms and salsa bars and visit Web sites depicting mass executions, according to French-based BFM TV.
The sicko even used his phone to snap a selfie of himself inside his rented truck moments before plowing through crowds of people enjoying the Bastille Day fireworks along the Promenade. He sent the picture to family members in his native Tunisia.
On Sunday, several foreign news agencies reported that Bouhlel had been indoctrinated about two weeks ago by an Algerian member of the Islamic State group in Nice.
Others have said Bouhlel seemed to suffer from psychiatric issues and his father said Bouhlel struggled in the past with depression.
Benjamin Hall reported from Nice today after speaking with neighbors of Bouhlel at the building where he lived. He said neighbors described someone who was not a practicing Muslim.
"I'm shocked," one woman told Hall. "He seemed a normal man. Only now do I realize."
Meantime, a third American has been confirmed dead in the massacre. In addition to a father and son from Texas, Nicholas Leslie, a UC-Berkeley student who was studying abroad, was also killed.