GOOD NEWS 'Act of God': Boy Survives 101 Minutes Without Pulse
A 22-month-old boy miraculously survived after being found in a frigid creek with no pulse for 101 minutes.
On March 11, Gardell Martin was outside playing with two of his brothers when he fell into an icy stream that runs through the family's property near Mifflinburg, PA, the Associated Press reported.
The toddler was quickly swept away by the fast moving current.
Greg Martin, his 7-year-old brother, ran into the house screaming to his mother about what had happened.
She frantically searched the property for him and called 911. Her two teenage daughters also joined in the search and began walking downstream looking for their younger brother.
Little Gardell was found by a neighbor nearly a quarter-mile away, with water gushing around him as he was caught up in a tree branch.
An emergency crew arrived to the scene moments later and found that the boy had no pulse.
They immediately began CPR on the toddler, while they transported him to a hospital.
The crew didn't stop trying to resuscitate Gardell. He was then transported via helicopter to the emergency room of the pediatric wing of Geisinger Medical Center.
That's when a team of more than 30 doctors and nurses jumped into action to try and save the boy.
Dr. Frank Maffei, director of the pediatric intensive care unit at Geisinger's Janet Weis Children's Hospital in Danville, told the Associated Press that the toddler's body temperature was 77 degrees when he arrived.
Maffei said that the hypothermia worked as an advantage for the boy, because it dramatically slowed down his metabolism and gave his organs "some degree of protection from cardiac arrest."
They continued CPR while trying to warm his body temperature. A pulse was detected on the boy and his heart restarted once his body reached 82 degrees.
A few hours later, he regained consciousness. Doctors were shocked to find his brain functioning completely normal.
"It was an act of God," Rose Martin told the Associated Press. "There is no doubt in my mind it's a miracle. God had the right people in the right place at the right time and they all did a wonderful job."
The toddler was released from the hospital Sunday and has made a full recovery, according to doctors.