Father Sues Amazon, Distributors Over Caffeine Powder That Killed Son
The father of an Ohio teenager who died after ingesting caffeine powder is suing online retailer Amazon.com and companies that distribute the powder.
18-year-old Logan Stiner died suddenly just before his high school graduation last May. A coroner said Stiner had a lethal amount of pure powder caffeine in his blood, more than 23 times the amount found in an average soda or coffee drink.
Judge Alex Ferrer appeared on "Fox and Friends Weekend" to weigh in on the father's wrongful death lawsuit, which claims the caffeine product is falsely labeled as a dietary supplement and seeks damages of more than $25,000.
Ferrer pointed out that caffeine powder is a very powerful substance and the difference between a safe dose and a lethal dose is very small.
"When you're dealing with a product like that, the duty to warn is very high," Ferrer said. "In fact, some would argue that it should actually be banned."
"In product liability law, what the courts have done over the years is said, 'Who's the best one to accept responsibility for the dangers of a product? The consumer who doesn't know, is relying on the warnings about the danger? [Or] the people who put it into the stream of commerce?'"
Ferrer explained that the courts have often decided that the retailer can negotiate the risk of a product with the manufacturer.
"That way, the cost of the dangers of the product gets absorbed by the manufacturer in the price that they charge for the product," he explained.
Watch the clip above.