'Put a Casserole in the Oven': You Won't Believe These 'Sick Day' Excuses
CareerBuilder.com has released this year’s most unbelievable (or inspired?) excuses for not coming into work.
When asked to share the most dubious excuses employees have given for calling in sick, employers reported hearing the following real-life examples:
- Employee just put a casserole in the oven.
- Employee’s plastic surgery for enhancement purposes needed some "tweaking" to get it just right.
- Employee was sitting in the bathroom and her feet and legs fell asleep. When she stood, up she fell and broke her ankle.
- Employee had been at the casino all weekend and still had money left to play with on Monday morning.
- Employee woke up in a good mood and didn't want to ruin it.
- Employee had a “lucky night” and didn’t know where he was.
- Employee got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn't get out.
- Employee had a gall stone they wanted to heal holistically.
- Employee caught their uniform on fire by putting it in the microwave to dry.
- Employee accidentally got on a plane.
The report also found that one-quarter of bosses caught their employees faking sick on social media, and one in five bosses fired an employee in the last year for faking it.
About 28 percent of employees called out sick when they were fine – with reasons including they didn’t feel like working, they wanted to relax, and there was bad weather.
Have you ever called out sick when you were just fine? Tell us more in the comments.