Reporters Hound White House to Release Emails on Benghazi Talking Points
The press hounded Press Secretary Jay Carney on Wednesday over the Benghazi emails between the White House and the State Department. Carney held steadfast that the Obama administration has provided testimony and emails pertaining to the September 11, 2012 Benghazi attack. Stephen Hayes, from The Weekly Standard, broke the story of how heavily involved the State Department and White House were involved in the 12 edited versions of the CIA’s talking points.
Megyn Kelly recapped what we already know. State Department spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland, reportedly asked that the talking points be revised several times. Last week, the White House leaked one email to CNN in an attempt to make Ben Rhodes, the deputy national security adviser for strategic communication, look better by suggesting he didn’t do everything she asked.
Ambassador Susan Rice appeared on five Sunday talk shows after the attack touting a false narrative that the attack was the result of a spontaneous demonstration. She apparently received her information from those talking points. The final talking points were “substance free,” Hayes said. “It actually doesn’t say much other than the things that are convenient for the administration as it told its story to the American people.”
Hayes said there were about 100 pages of emails provided to Capitol Hill in a short session where they could be examined. Kelly and Hayes questioned why the White House won’t release emails if they want the whole story told, as they’ve stated.
Hayes took it a step further, asking for the release of presidential daily briefs on the attack, the redacted FBI transcripts from survivors and a CIA memo by the CIA station chief in Libya from September 12. “There’s a lot of documents that would help us tell this whole story. I for one would like to see them. Jay Carney and apparently the White House don’t want us to.”