Leah Gayle Shipman, Ex-Teacher Accused of Having Sex With Student Marries Him to Avoid Jail Time
A high school teacher in North Carolina married her former student to allegedly avoid jail time for statutory rape. 42-year-old Leah Gayle Shipman was arrested in 2009 on charges of sexual offense with a student, statutory rape and taking indecent liberties with a student who was just 15 years old.
Court records show that in 2011, Shipman divorced her husband of 19 years, and days later married 17-year-old Johnnie Ison. The boy’s mother signed documents allowing him to marry Shipman since he was still a minor.
The marriage prevents prosecutors from forcing Ison to testify
against the former teacher. As a result, prosecutors dropped the case against Shipman.
- Fmr Teacher Found Guilty of All Counts After Being Accused of Having Sex With Students
- Teacher Sues School District Over Fear of Kids
- Student Who Recorded Teacher Yelling at Him for Criticizing President Obama Speaks Out
Dana Perino said on The Five, “It’s child pedophilia. Just because it’s a boy, he was just as much a victim as any girl would be.”
The marriage became publicized recently because Shipman pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of resisting arrest last month.
Top Stories on Fox News Insider:
- Pro-Abortion Group Celebrates Roe v. Wade Anniversary With Bizarre Ad
- Krauthammer: Obama’s Inauguration Speech Was an “Ode to Big Government” That Declared the “End of Reaganism”
- Inauguration Photo Bombs: Bill Clinton Behind Kelly Clarkson, Malia Obama Gets in Front of Kissing Parents
- Jaw-Dropping Images: Massive Boulder Crashes Into Utah Home